Pages

26 Oct 2010

nationalfeiertag

It is cold and wet outside, and snow line dropped to even 400 metres only. Still no snow here in Vienna but one can say that winter has arrived here in Austria. I couldn't be bothered to go outside yet (this Campanula flower is from the archives) but I might later today - after all it is our national holiday today which means that I didn't go to work.

(Oh, we celebrate our independence on this day - or more precisely, the day when allegedly the last soldier of the occupational force left Austria, in 1955; allegedly, as the Russians even left before while some Brits stayed longer. But that's of no relevance anyway; celebrations of this day do not include any festivities about soldiers leaving but rather it is kind of a national 'hiking day'. Which means that I'm supposed to do at least some hiking, and as a good citizen I might do some wandering later today. Not that there's a penalty if you don't.)