Pages

10 Jun 2010

the turtle is back!

Do you remember Euro 2008 - the European Championship, taking place in Switzerland and Austria? And its biggest fan, Emys orbicularis, the only native turtle species of Austria?

Well, football's back (even though to South Africa, same difference), and so is the turtle. I met her recently in the Hot Lands of Lobau, again on egg-laying duties, and she seemed to be quite annoyed at being disturbed again.

I asked her if she's going to a public viewing zone, but all I got was a grunt: "Nah, don' like them vuzulas ..." - "Vuvuzelas", I corrected her. "Whate'er. Don' like 'em." Yeah, I told her, they make such a deafening noise that I doubt I will enjoy this championship very much - but she interrupted me: "Nah, that'z no ze problem, ze problem is I can't blow 'em. On account of no' 'aving enough breathing power."

Well anyway, here she goes, the turtle - sprinting towards an egg-laying place so that she'll be free to watch the odd match, even though she don't like 'em coz of them vuzulus, or whatever. I only hope she'll arrive in time.