Pages

5 Aug 2009

fruits

Today I could already eat not-yet-quite-ripe barberries, buckthorn and cornelian cherries. All quite sour but delicious nevertheless.

I would have liked to visit my favourite apple tree in Lobau national park too but it is located in the worst mosquito hellhole there - and those nasty insects already ate me alive while I picked those others (and took some pictures).

Here's the cornelian cherries, before I ate them:

PS: It is august already, as you might have noticed. The autumn crocus should begin to flower soon. Today I made damn sure that they aren't flowering yet (which of course would have been a huge surprise.

Not that I expected flowering to begin before the 10th, and most likely it'll begin only between 15th and 20th of august). I only would love to really being able to say, this time around, that their buds shot out of earth exactly on this or that day: this is something I didn't manage so far, there was always a margin of several days.